Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > OC news > Lisa Rivers (99) and the Paris Olympics

Lisa Rivers (99) and the Paris Olympics

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics...
15 Mar 2024
OC news

Lisa (99) could be about to make history if she is selected to referee Judo at the Paris Olympics this summer! 

OC Lisa had an early passion for refeering which alongside her determination to reach the top of her refeering career could take her all the way onto the tatami mat in Paris this summer.

Alongside other referees she is hoping to take centre stage in the Judo arena, playing an essential part of the Olympics in front of an audience of millions, if she is chosen to be one of the Paris crew who support the Olympics, or Paralympics. 

Competition to get one of these roles is tough, but being a part of the refeering squad would be a dream come true for Lisa who has put her heart and soul into refeering since 10 years of age, when encouraged by her coach she passed her junior 1st level award.

Lisa’s first ‘live action’ was in November 1991 at the Sussex yellow belt and under. Lisa told us that ‘'it was so exciting, and I loved being in a uniform and felt incredibly important. I was allowed in the refereeing room which set me apart from my friends and I loved the whole experience.‘

By 2005, Lisa gained her national refereeing licence, swiftly following this in 2019 by becoming the 1st GB woman to go from Junior level 1 to be a qualified International referee - her greatest achievement to date. The only other person in Great Britain to have done this was her husband, Martin.

Although Judo is Lisa's passion, she somehow manages to squeeze in a busy job as a manager in Social Services where she runs the Occupational Therapy Service in her local area but any spare time is dedicated to coaching and running her local judo club [Kin Ryu Judo Club] where over 200 athletes enjoy judo at all levels.

We wish Lisa the very best for her future career in Judo refereeing and we hope to spot her at the Olympics in the near future!

Similar stories

Over 30 OCs returned to school to compete for the Eaton trophies... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

We wish Alex (20) the best of luck as he runs for Maddy's Mark... More...

Christopher recently contacted us regarding his career since leaving Churcher's College in 1970... More...

Eleanor (20) selected as a UN UK Women's delegate... More...

Most read

Christopher recently contacted us regarding his career since leaving Churcher's College in 1970... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

Over 30 OCs returned to school to compete for the Eaton trophies... More...

Have your say

Development Office
Churcher's College
Ramshill
Petersfield
GU31 4AS

+44 (0)1730 236 833
community@churcherscollege.com

Registered Charity No.1173833

This website is powered by
ToucanTech