Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > OC news > OC returns to introduce Grill Lecture

OC returns to introduce Grill Lecture

OC Anna Hedges (18) returned to introduce the Holocaust survivor who inspired her to study History at university...
28 Feb 2023
OC news

On the 22nd of February, I had the privilege of introducing Steven Frank at the 2023 Grill Lecture. I first met Steven over six years ago when I was a student at Churcher’s. I heard his unforgettable story during the Holocaust Educational Trust’s Ambassadorship programme that I took part in, during which Steven spoke of his happy childhood growing up in a secular Jewish family in Amsterdam during the late 1930s and how this life changed drastically following the Nazi invasion of the Netherlands in 1940. His story is remarkable: it is full of sadness and horror like the disappearance and death of his heroic father Leonard Frank, and the frequently brutal times Steven spent in Westerbork and Theresienstadt camps. At the same time, I was once again moved by Steven’s compassion and wisdom. In a particularly poignant moment, Steven told us of a man who taught him how to grow tomatoes at Westerbork. The man was ‘sent East’ – most likely to his death – and ever since, Steven has been growing and watering tomatoes in his garden in memory of this man.

I was compelled to return to Churcher’s to once again listen to Steven’s story since it was the HET’s programme and hearing Steven speak six years ago that first inspired me to study History at university. By passing on Steven’s story we preserve the memory of what happened during the Holocaust and actively remind each other of the individuals to whom the atrocities occurred. I was incredibly grateful to be asked back to Churcher’s to host such a memorable event and person. Thank you to Steven Frank and to Helen Jolliffe for inviting me.

More photos from the evening can be seen here.

Similar stories

Over 30 OCs returned to school to compete for the Eaton trophies... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

We wish Alex (20) the best of luck as he runs for Maddy's Mark... More...

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics... More...

Christopher recently contacted us regarding his career since leaving Churcher's College in 1970... More...

Most read

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

Current Pupils had an opportunity to meet Business Owners and OCs at the recent Careers Convention... More...

Have your say

Development Office
Churcher's College
Ramshill
Petersfield
GU31 4AS

+44 (0)1730 236 833
community@churcherscollege.com

Registered Charity No.1173833

This website is powered by
ToucanTech