Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > In memoriam > Geoffrey (Geoff) French (69) Grenville

Geoffrey (Geoff) French (69) Grenville

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Geoff French (69) on 9 August 2022 following a short illness.

Geoff's wife Sobilia wrote to us with the sad news and together with Geoff's dear friend Keith Dolan, have put together the below piece.

'Geoffrey Michael French sadly passed away on the 9 August, 2022.  A very true friend, husband and father who made everyone he met smile even though his humour, mimicry and antics belied his truly loyal and serious nature. 

He had many adventures all over the globe and after relocating to the Middle East in the late Seventies to forge a career, and remaining in Kuwait throughout the entire Gulf War, retired back to Blighty where he relished the opportunity to reconnect with old chums. Geoff always had fond memories of his time at Churcher's and the number of Old Churcherians he remained in touch with was quite lovely to see.

He is survived by a wife and son of whom he was immensely proud.

Fondly remembered by all, these words were written in gratitude for his enduring friendship'.

A SONG FOR GEOFFREY

I think of you and shed a tear or two,

but then I smile

at thought of that kind soul who always

went that extra mile

— and did it all with such great style.

I’m sure that many learned from you

to do what we’re supposed to do;

to try to be as you’ve shown me,

and live a life in dignity.

To live and walk with measured pace 

(for life is not a race).

To try and reach a final state of grace.

Although we mourn in sadness,

we will not sing the blues,

but do as you would wish:

dance in our finest velvet shoes.

And though you’re gone, could not

remain,

we know that you’re still dancing

on some other distant plane…

© Keith Dolan 2022.

Similar stories

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of OC Ian Birtwistle (02) in February 2023 More...

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Mike Riches (49) in December 2023... More...

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of former member of staff, Norma Bones, in July 2023... More...

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of David Lawrence (48) in March 2023... More...

It with great sadness that we announce the death of former member of staff Bob Broadhead in February 2023 More...

Most read

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

Over 30 OCs returned to school to compete for the Eaton trophies... More...

Have your say

Development Office
Churcher's College
Ramshill
Petersfield
GU31 4AS

+44 (0)1730 236 833
community@churcherscollege.com

Registered Charity No.1173833

This website is powered by
ToucanTech