Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > In memoriam > Leslie Harfield (47) Nelson

Leslie Harfield (47) Nelson

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Leslie Harfield (47)
18 May 2020
In memoriam

His son Myles wrote...

It is with regret that I write to inform you of the death of my father, Leslie James Harfield. He passed away on 18th May 2020 from what can best be summed up as 'old age'.  He was 90 years of age.

My father always spoke very fondly of his time at Churcher's. He joined the school during the Second World War in 1941. Having done well in both his School Certificate and the Higher School Certificate he remained on for a third year in the Sixth Form to study for and achieve a Major County Scholarship. During this time he was, for the last two terms, Captain of College. 

He was very grateful to the school for preparing him to apply, successfully, to Cambridge and for the opportunities it afforded him both academically and in other regards, in particular music and sport. I can remember watching him play cricket for the Old Boys at the school and so he must have maintained that active connection into the late 60s if not the early 70s. His love of music, in particular choral music, which started at Churcher's stood him in good stead when applying, again successfully, for a Choral Exhibition at Gonville and Caius. It stayed with him for life and he derived much enjoyment from it both as a participant and as a listener.

Similar stories

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of A. Simon Battison (63), on 6 September 2020. More...

Katie (11), Olivia (13) with their parents

Katie Strick (11) Staff writer at the Evening Standard. She writes daily features for the newspaper's Life & Arts pages … More...

Dr Emily Robbins (08) front row third from the left with her colleagues

Dr Emily Robbins (08), Senior Registrar, Accident & Emergency Dept. Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Austr… More...

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of former governor Peter Luscombe (51) More...

Most read

Current Pupils had an opportunity to meet Business Owners and OCs at the recent Careers Convention... More...

Over 30 OCs returned to school to compete for the Eaton trophies... More...

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics... More...

Have your say

Development Office
Churcher's College
Ramshill
Petersfield
GU31 4AS

+44 (0)1730 236 833
community@churcherscollege.com

Registered Charity No.1173833

This website is powered by
ToucanTech