Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Community news > Artists Rifles recognised

Artists Rifles recognised

Mike and Rosemary Powell met with the Headmaster, CCF Commander and cadet officers...

In May a commemorative oak tree was planted in recognition and remembrance of the Artists Rifles who left school to serve on the battlefield. The tree was donated by long-term Petersfield residents Mike and Rosemary Powell who also wanted to recognise Her Majesty The Queen's Platinum Jubilee and her wish for people to plant a tree this year.

The Artists Rifles were a regiment raised against French invasion fears in 1860. The first Artists were painters, sculptors, musicians, architects, actors and members of other artistic occupations by day, and became soldiers when they drilled and went to war. Several students from Churcher's College served in the Artists Rifles during the World Wars. 

On moving to Petersfield, Mike says: "A townie, promoted to a country town, I had to learn about farming, the surrounding area and what people cherished. I was already an Artist having signed my papers in 1958 - a territorial soldier now reading the Farmer’s Weekly and studying animals. I believe I am the last to wear the word 'Artists' on my battle dress blouse. Churchers has so much to offer and this tree is so appropriate in this anniversary year."

You can read more about the story of the 100 Churcherians killed in the two World Wars in 'The Men Who Marched Away', written by former Head of History, John Symonds, and available from the shop.

Similar stories

Current Pupils had an opportunity to meet Business Owners and OCs at the recent Careers Convention... More...

An evening of wine and cheese - what better way to spend a Friday evening in February... More...

Jasmine Elmer, exploring femininity and bringing the past into the present... More...

The Churcher's community came together for Christmas wreath making...

A festive afternoon of Christmas wreath making in aid of the Richard Churcher Foundation... More...

Guests at The Benefactors' Reception enjoying the evening

Supporters of the Richard Churcher Foundation were treated to an enjoyable evening of music in the Donald Brooks Auditor… More...

Most read

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

We wish Alex (20) the best of luck as he runs for Maddy's Mark... More...

Have your say

Development Office
Churcher's College
Ramshill
Petersfield
GU31 4AS

+44 (0)1730 236 833
community@churcherscollege.com

Registered Charity No.1173833

This website is powered by
ToucanTech