Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Churcher's Chat > Churcher's Chat - Series 2, Article 2

Churcher's Chat - Series 2, Article 2

We chat to David Martin (53) about his memories Churcher's...

David attended Churcher's for six years, becoming Vice Captain of College in his final year. His brother Michael (56) and both of his son's attended the school and David was a Governor for many years. In September, his Grandson will start at Churcher's.

David visited the school to take part in his article and we had a lovely hour reminiscing about his time at Churcher's and his life thereafter. We sat in the Conference room, previously the Headmaster's Office. Thankfully no punishments were handed out!

Do you remember your first day at Churcher's?

I do, although it was quite unremarkable! I was shown around and then left to find my own way. I joined with a friend from Junior School, Peter Berriman. I was the first year to be accepted into Churcher's through the 11+ scholarship and to start with it often felt like we were treated a bit differently by the other boys.

What was your favourite subject?

I didn't have one favourite subject, I enjoyed many. I was particularly interested in the sciences - botany, zoology and chemistry. Not physics, for reasons not for publication!

Due to a lack of funds (or that's what they told me), I was not able to do the County Major Scholarship for University at the end of Upper Sixth. I therefore had to stay at Churcher's for a further year, and had to sit the same A-levels twice!

Was there a teacher that particularly inspired you?

There were several... Mr Dimond the Chemistry teacher was certainly a favourite. He was down to earth, talked to you properly, and was very well respected by the boys. If he asked you to sit down, everyone did! I remember that he stood on a platform at the front of the chemistry lab (now the library I believe), so that he could always keep an eye on the whole class.

Mr Dolman (biology) was another I admired. He was at Churcher's for around three years and got involved in the all round running of the school, refereeing rugby etc. He embraced the Churcher's life.

Due to the war, many of the other teachers were much older or impaired. There were plenty of boys who played tricks!

Do you have a standout memory of your time at Churcher's?

The whole lot, really! I have everything to thank Churcher's for, it set me up for Medicine school and my life thereafter. 

What did you do after leaving school?

I went to Kings College, London and then to Westminster Hospital, studying medicine. I then went onto St Marys to study obstetrics, which was my main interest at the time. After being left high and dry for a time without a job I began in General Practice, before setting up my own Practice in Waterlooville. I took early retirement in 1996 to care for my wife.

Outside of work I have enjoyed volunteering with the National Trust for 25 years, working at Uppark and Hinton Ampner. I have also been fortunate to travel the world, Australia is still on my list!

What is your proudest achievement?

Qualifying in medicine, and hopefully being a decent GP! 

What advice would you give your younger self?

Do your best, that's all you can do!

What would you say is one thing that makes Churcher's special?

The staff (although they have changed a lot over the years, now much younger and more educated) and the wide curriculum offered by the school.

Thank you to David for taking part in Churcher's Chat.

Similar stories

We chat to Derek French (58) about his memories of Churcher's... More...

We chat to George Wheatley (49) about his memories of Churcher's... More...

We chat to Alan Horan (47) about his memories of Churcher's... More...

We chat to John Bushell (48) about his memories of Churcher's... More...

We chat to Denis Payne (49) about his memories of Churcher's... More...

Most read

Could Lisa (99) be selected to referee for the Paris Olympics... More...

On Saturday 16 March we welcomed over 60 OCs for lunch... More...

We wish Alex (20) the best of luck as he runs for Maddy's Mark... More...

Have your say

Development Office
Churcher's College
Ramshill
Petersfield
GU31 4AS

+44 (0)1730 236 833
community@churcherscollege.com

Registered Charity No.1173833

This website is powered by
ToucanTech